Monday, July 02, 2007

Conman Story

Today, after came back from work, my dad told us about a conman story which he encountered and purposely pretended to comply with the whole situation. It all started with my dad had a phone call........

telephone machine:
"you have been summon to attend a court case. Kindly press 9 for further information" ((My dad purposely pressed 9 to find out more even though he knew deep in his heart this is a con call))

[Phone conversation]{spoken in mandarin}
conman 1:"Hello. This is the court administrative department. How may i help you?" ((for god's sake, in Malaysia, you will never find a court person that speaks fully in mandarin at the first phone conversation))
Dad:"Hello. i called regarding the court case"
conman 1:"Tell me your name & IC no."
Dad:"Tee Ah Siong" **My dad simnply lied a name & IC no.**
conman 1: "wait. let me check your profile...**after 1 mins** oh.. Mr. Tee, your name appear in one of our court case. Do you know someone by the name *Ah Long*?"
Dad:"No. I do not know him"
conman 1: "Oh. Ah Long is arrested for drug-trafficking & dealing in the black market. Your name appeared to be connected to him when we further investigated"
Dad: "But i do not know him!"
conman 1: "It is alright. We will process this information. Later the police department will call you up for further interrogation."
[End of Phone conversation 1].
{Over here i need to clarify this. My dad is a very playful person. He heard about this kinda con-manship from radio and also newspaper. Besides that, he had also received several atime this kinda con-manship telephone call. Hence, he decided to play along with this when he pressed the no. 9}

** After 5 mins phone ring again**
Conman 2: "Hello. is this Mr. Tee Ah Siong? I am Inspector *A"
Dad: "Hello. Yes. I am Tee Ah Siong."
Conman 2: "Kindly verify your IC no. **My dad already knew that they are going to ask for verification therefore when he simply made up an IC.no, he did jotted it down in a piece of paper, after verification, he started telling my dad about the case. He mentioned that if my dad wanted help since he is innocent, he can get help from someone from the Jury department.**
Dad: ** Pretended to be scare & ask him for more information on the jury department. After that, my dad asked him something which shocked the conman** "You are inspector of which rank with how many stars?"
Conman 2: ** taken aback, replied**" Actually i am a sergeant with 3 stars ranking" **According to my dad, sergeant is the easiest to lie as they have only up to 3 stars. After that he mentioned that he will helped my dad out by asking the someone from the jury department to help**
[End of Phone Conversation 2]

[Start of Phone Conversation 3]
Conman 3 (lady): "Hello. Is this Mr.Tee. I am calling from the Jury department"**this time spoken in English**
Dad: **Pretended do not know english and purposely spoke in bahasa pasar (broken Malay language) but somehow, dad said the conman 3 do not seems to understand so my dad spoke to him in mandarin which he replied in mandarin too. ((come on... hellooo..... jury department spoke to you in mandarin ?? something must be damn wrong lo**
Conman 3 (Lady): ** Again, a series of verification procedure before talking to my dad on the case**" i heard about your case. Somehow since your name is connected to black market, your account seems to be used for black market transaction. Therefore, your account will be frozen in future. bla bla bla.... However, if you want to save it from being frozen, you can temporarily transfer the money to the public safety account while we undergo the investigation. Exactly how many accounts do you hold?"
Dad: "One joint acct with my wife in Public bank but the bank book is with me"
Conman 3 (Lady): "Ok. We will teach you how to save your money from being frozen in the account. All you have to do is withdraw all your money but keep at least RM 100 in the bank to avoid termination of account. Later transfer the money into **** bank with this AAAA account name and XXXXXXX account number which is the public safety account. Are you listening attentively?"
Dad: "Yeah yeah... i am damn scare already. i wish to settle of this as fast as possible too to avoid any problem with my saving account. But how do i contact you when i have already withdraw the money ? can you give me your phone number?"
Conman 3(Lady): "It is alrite. I will call you back in 30 mins. In the mean time, you go and withdraw your money and transfer it to that account. Remember, avoid all conversation with the bank admin and do not speak of this to anybody else, you will not be able to take out your money."
Dad: "definately. i will not speak to anyone"
Conman 3(Lady): "again, do not speak of this to anyone. I will call you later"
**Actually, i have omitted quite some of the conversation as it will be very long. Somehow, everytime when they called, they will ask for a series of verification of the things that you have previously mentioned**
[End of Phone Conversation 3]

** After 30 mins , he called again. This time my dad out of playfulness, pretended to be Mr. Tee's wife. He used a cloth to cover the phone and spoken in higher pitch. i must say, by this time, my dad's colleagues are all laughing like mad already**
[Phone Conversation 4]
Conman 3(Lady): " Is this Mr. Tee?"
Dad : "No. i am his wife. Who is this?
Conman 3(Lady): "How come your voice sounded like a man? Are you Mr. Tee?"
Dad: "Huh? Did my voice really sounded like a man ?! By the way, who are you ? How come there are woman calling my husband?"
Conman 3(lady): "Err.. i am your husband business client. Is he around ?"
Dad: "He went out to the bank just now. Haven't come back."
Conman 3 (lady): "oh. ok. i will call back later then"
[End of Phone Conversation 4]

**After another 20 mins, the lady called again, this time my dad pretended that he has already returned from the bank**
[Phone Conversation 5]
Conman 3: "Hello. Is this Mr.Tee?"
Dad: "Yeah. it's me. Just now did you called my wife? she complaint that someone said her voice sounded like a man."
Conman 3: "Sorry. we called. How many ppl is there in your house ? How come so noisy ?
** She must have heard my dad's colleagues' laughter therefore begun to suspect something**
Dad: "Nah... i am just listening to radio. My dad really did off the low voice radio. with this gesture, my dad's colleagues knew that silence is needed, therefore everybody cease talking and laughing**
Conman 3: ** After hearing no noise anymore when my dad said he off the radio, started asking about the bank visit information. "So how's everything ? Did you do as what i have told you?"
**My dad told us that the lady asked a series of questions to verify that my dad is not telling a lie. Luckily my dad is smart enough to answer everything soundly**
Dad: "Yeah. i did as per what you asked. I went to the bank, got my number and approached the counter 6 which was served by a malay lady, since she suddenly had a phone call, she just asked me to go to the next counter. As i see the next counter is a chinese lady, so i thought it is better since i do not know how to speak in either Malay or English. When i wanna transfer the money into the account name that you gave me, the chinese lady ask for my IC. When i gave her, she started asking how come i am transferring money into this specific account. she started to ask plenty of questions regarding this account. Since i do not have any information on you, i told her that i am transferring the money to the public safety account."
Conman 3: "Aiyo, i thought i told you not to talk to anyone."
Dad: "Well, she mentioned that if it is public safety account, impossible the account name is a specific person's name. Therefore, she refused to let me transfer the money into that account."
Conman 3: "See, told you not to tell anybody about it. I think the lady must be the person who helps in using your account to deal with black market. That's why she refused to help you."** My dad said ahe thought for awhile, then started saying that the account given previously was just a test to see whether i do understand the whole process.**"If that's the case, do you have any other bank around your area besides public bank?"
Dad: "Yeah. i think there is another one."
Conman 3: "Good. How about this time, you go to that bank and input the money into this account?" **Dad said this person persisted for my dad to go to another bank to input that money. I guess maybe they are thinking it is so hard to get someone who is stupid enough to follow what they are saying and really input money into that account, therefore they persevere. They still insist my dad to put the money into another new account**
Dad: **Gotten a bit tired of their persistence, mentioned something that makes them scare. "Aiya, to avoid any confusion, how about you gave me the court case number, i will ask my friends' friend who is a lawyer to look into this case.."
Phone: "..tut...tut..tut........
[End of Phone Conversation 5]

The reason i am posting this here is to let you guys know, there are lots and lots of cases of con-manship nowadays. Please be extremely careful. Do not reveal unnecessary information too much.!!!!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They called us! *lol* We wanted to play them but they were engaged on the line, probably busy conning other people. :D

Thanks for posting this, it's very informative.